In the world of paving, asphalt and concrete are the most common elements. However, it’s important to note that the two are not interchangeable. Both asphalt and concrete have unique properties. Asphalt will be best for certain tasks, and concrete will be better suited for others. With this in mind, how do you determine if asphalt or concrete roads work better for your paving project? Here’s a more detailed breakdown.
Your Paving Criteria
The different properties of asphalt and concrete can help you narrow down which paving material to use. Take all possible factors into consideration as you make a decision.
- Road Smoothness: Generally speaking, asphalt provides a smooth, quiet ride for vehicles, especially when it’s new. Concrete tends to be rougher and noisier due to its tined or broomed texture, which gives it grip.
- Winter-Proofing: The dark coloration of asphalt means it heats up quickly, which helps snow melt faster. Additionally, road salt in winter can actually eat away at concrete. Some cities actually adopt policies mandating that no salt be used on new concrete roads.
- Repairs: In dense urban areas, concrete holds up well under heavy traffic and needs fewer repairs. But in smaller, more isolated areas, asphalt is more commonly used.
- Coloration: Concrete is better when you need to mark certain areas, either for safety (like crosswalks) or aesthetics.
- Downtime: Asphalt is ready for vehicles to travel on it as soon as it is compacted by a roller. Alternatively, concrete usually needs to cure for up to seven days after it is laid down.
Traditionally, asphalt paving projects tend to have a cheaper price tag than concrete projects. Rising oil prices over the past 20 years have started to trim the price gap between the two, but this hasn’t really stopped people from choosing asphalt. In the end, it’s up to you whether to use asphalt or concrete. Study your situation carefully and determine factors like environmental conditions, trends in weather, and how much vehicle traffic you’re expecting.
Whether you choose asphalt or concrete, Lone Star Paving has the know-how to get your project done. Our team has over 125 combined years of paving experience, and we’re ready to put it to good use. Whether it’s asphalt or concrete, new paving or repairs, roads or parking lots… Lone Star Paving is the team of experts trusted all across the Austin, Temple, and San Antonio areas. Get in touch with us today for a free quote!