Are you building or repaving a parking lot or road in rural Austin Texas?
Using gravel for your project won’t be a complicated matter. It’s easy to procure and it’s applicable for a multitude of purposes. Unfortunately, for that very reason, people tend to overlook the fact that there are, in fact, alternatives to gravel for getting the job done. Asphalt millings are one such alternative that can easily take the place of gravel, while offering several benefits that regular, ordinary gravel doesn’t bring.
Here’s why you should consider asphalt millings for your upcoming project.
What Are Asphalt Millings?
Asphalt paving is a very common method of building up parking lots and roads. Since asphalt is a more complete product, it often looks much more composed than a gravel lot or road. And, while it costs a little more than gravel, it’s much more flexible.
Once old asphalt has run its course, however, many people don’t realize that it can take on a new life by being recycled. Asphalt millings are the result of taking old pieces of asphalt and crushing them down into smaller pieces, comparable in size to gravel. This process of breaking down asphalt pieces is commonly done using a milling machine, which grinds up asphalt to a predetermined depth and then vacuums up the milled material. This leaves the remaining lower layers of asphalt pieces durable and strong, leaving a good foundation that can be used for repaving. Meanwhile, the asphalt millings are taken away, ready to be used in new projects.
Though many property owners are unaware of it, asphalt millings have traits that allow them to be better, in some ways, than traditional gravel solutions.
Asphalt Millings vs. Gravel Solutions
The clear advantage of using asphalt millings in Austin Texas is that you’re using recycled material instead of simply discarding it. Discarded asphalt can often end up in landfills where it takes up considerable space, but asphalt millings repurpose old material and give the millings a second chance. Apart from the eco-friendly implications, there are several other reasons why using asphalt millings rather than gravel can be a good idea:
- Cost Benefits: Recycling older materials costs significantly less than the creation of new materials. Labor and transport costs are also lower. Whether you’re a service provider or an asphalt millings customer, these savings can be passed along to you.
- Durability: All forms of recycled asphalt, including asphalt millings, hold up well under harsh conditions like heavy rain and snowfall. They just have the capacity to endure more wear and tear than gravel, which can shift or move depending on the conditions.
- Maintenance: If you choose to move forward with asphalt millings instead of gravel, you can forget about the time-consuming upkeep that is required to maintain a gravel road. Once you pave the way with asphalt millings, sealcoating and resurfacing aren’t necessary. The asphalt millings actually harden and form stronger bonds over time and they even produce less dust and dirt than gravel.Less dust also means that vehicle owners who use the road or lot often won’t have to clean their trucks and cars as often as they might if only gravel was used.
- Seasonality: Asphalt millings hold up equally well in hot and cold temperatures. Snow melts away more quickly on asphalt millings than gravel, and ice has a more difficult time forming on asphalt millings as well. If you live in a place that endures harsh winters with snow or sleet, asphalt millings could be a much better solution for you than gravel.
- Environmental Benefits: Using recycled asphalt as opposed to traditional asphalt can lessen the demand for new asphalt manufacturing, which contributes to a huge amount of greenhouse gas emissions each year. It can also keep a wide range of substances out of our landfills, which can lessen our impact on the planet and its natural ecosystems.
Order Your Asphalt Millings in Austin Today!
Interested in finding recycled asphalt for sale in Austin, TX? We thought you might. Asphalt pavings are a reliable, flexible, and cost-effective way to pave a road or parking lot in Austin, and we’re here to help you do it. With our expert team of asphalt paving experts and over 125 years of combined experience, you can count on us to procure the very best asphalt milling mixes available in Austin, for whatever paving project you have in mind.
Whether you want to buy our asphalt millings yourself or have us complete your paving project for you, we can do it all. Contact us today for more information about our asphalt milling services!